Quinoa casserole (serves two)
Mung beans are often used in curries but they also taste great in stews and salads. Mung beans are an excellent source of fibre; they are also high in iron, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese and potassium. Their fibre content makes them a great food for diabetics as prevents blood sugar spikes after a meal.
Quinoa is a wheat free alternative to starchy grains. It provides twice the protein of rice, while it is a good source of magnesium, manganese and calcium. Quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids (the breakdown of proteins), which makes it a complete protein food. It is a great choice for vegetarians who need to get a balance of protein through a animal protein free diet.This meal takes about 40minutes to cook but most of this time the ingredients are left in the pot to simmer. We hope you enjoy it!
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa (110gr)
- ½ cup uncooked mung beans (100gr)-left in water for 6-8 hours
- 1 small carrot
- ½ broccoli
- 400ml water
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pepper, thyme and garlic to taste
- Bring water to boil and add the beans. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20minutes
- Add the quinoa, chopped vegetables, onion, pepper and herbs and leave to simmer for another 15-20minutes. The quinoa will be ready when it ‘opens’ in bigger balls, as shown in the picture. Add more water if needed.
- Serve warm with fresh green salad on the side. If you want a mixture of proteins you could cook less beans and add some feta cheese on the side. Enjoy!
Do you want something fresh, nutritious for lunch, but also filling? This chickpea salad is will satisfy all of your needs.
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 1 large cucumber, seeds removed, chopped in cubes
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 3-4 coriander leaves
- 3-4 parsley leaves
- ½ green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- lemon juice, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handfuls of croutons or 1 slice of wholemeal bread
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place in a bowl. Add the cucumber, herbs, chilli and red onion.
- Gently toss to combine. Season with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, to taste.